Black Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help a Metal Newfag out?

+6
PILEDRIVER
Antonius Block
Kyle
Burp
Arnd
Cap'n Quixote
10 posters

Go down

Help a Metal Newfag out? Empty Help a Metal Newfag out?

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:25 am

More or less, I like metal, and want to get into it, but do not know much about it. I've been starting to touch on the surface of the genre, but don't really know what direction to go. What are some good starter bands? Here is some of the stuff that I like - don't know if you guys would all consider it straight "Metal" or whatever, but bear with me. I'm not very knowledgeable in the area.

Botch, Converge, Every Time I Die, Job For a Cowboy's FIRST Ep (Doom, that is. The rest of their stuff BLOWS.. but I really dig that first thing they put out), Heavy Heavy Low Low - although I'm more into the idea of what they do than I am into actually listening to them. Gets old kind of fast, All Shall Perish, Between the Buried and Me, Burzum (especially the pre "FUCK VARG AM IN PRISON!" era stuff.), Death - even though I haven't really heard too much of their shit, The Devil Wears Prada (Kinda lame?), "Post Metal" stuff like Pelican, What I've heard of Sunn o))), What I've heard of Dillinger Escape Plan, War From a Harlot's Mouth, Plaguebringer, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Harlots.

That's all I can think of. I also have a soft spot for old 80s Thrash, like early Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer..

I think my favorite stuff is usually kind of Mathy and Noisy, from what I've heard - like Botch or Converge, I suppose.

Any tips, suggestions, what have you?

Also - what are the really basic elements that define specific subsects of the genre - Doom, Black, Thrash, Death, Grindcore, etc. I have a sort of idear, but want to know the rudimentary stuff. LEARN ME, dudes. Might as well just treat me like I'm clueless.. as I mostly am. confused
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Help a Metal Newfag out? Empty Re: Help a Metal Newfag out?

Post by Arnd Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:52 am

As for Doom, it's most easiest to explain the 'Traditional' Doom Metal. Think early Black Sabbath, Pentagram (US), Saint Vitus, The Obsessed etc etc. Technically, it isn't much more than slowed down Heavy Metal with perhaps some roots of Psychedelic Hard Rock, but it is so much more. You will definitely notice the difference.

Apart from Trad. Doom Metal, there are several other genres which get lumped in under the Doom umbrella, i.e. Stoner(/Doom) Metal, Sludge(/Doom) Metal, Funeral Doom Metal, Death/Doom Metal and Drone/Doom Metal.

Stoner Doom is pretty hard to pin down, in my opinion. The ongoing opinion is that Kyuss is the main (and at times it is claimed the only) founder of it, with their psyched up desert rock, but I think credits are due to Cathedral's first couple of albums. Other very notable bands are Electric Wizard and Ufomammut. Its usually characterised by psychy leads, hazy production, often but not always altered vocals, heavy midsections etc.

Sludge(/Doom) on itself is a pretty diverse genre, depending how the band has its take at it. The founders of the genre are pretty much Eyehategod, putting out the Sludge (think a bluesy mix of Black Flag + Black Sabbath and drugs), Grief and Noothgrush for the Sludge/Doom, which could be described as slowed down hardcore with throat-ripping vocals and the sludgy depth and breakdowns. Corrupted is Sludge/Doom, too (imo), but they have dabbled their toes in a couple of ponds.

Funeral Doom was easy to categorize in its early years, as there were only two bands responsible for its creation, being Thergothon and Skepticism. Both of which still remain the pinnacle of the genres, each with their respective debut album, Stream for the Heavens and Stormcrowfleet. The first can be described as a even more slowed down version of Death/Doom, with very sparse keys and drumwork, deep grunts and an awe-inspiring, downtuning feeling overall. Same goes for Skepticism, although they didn't have much of that obvious Death/Doom going on and the keys played a bigger role. It has since diversed to bands which have left out keys on its whole (e.g. The Funeral Orchestra, Catacombs) and thus rely on riffs, or those who 'clone' Skepticism (e.g. Ea or Comatose Virgil).

Death/Doom's beginning are a bit shrouded. Usually claimed as creators are Winter (US) and Disembowelment. Very slow Death Metal, and in the case of the latter, even slower but often mixed with grind-till-death sections. Evoken are commonly named as one of the current pinnacles of the genre. I don't know too much about it, tbqh.

It's all in the name for Drone/Doom. Riffs droning the fuck out till you die, or riffs droning the fuck out till nowhere and boredom. Earth is the creator of the genre with their fantastic Extracapsular Extraction and Earth 2. Sunn O)))'s early works were basically Earth-worship albums. Nowadays, the genre is so diverse and dabbles in so many seas, it's ridiculous(ly good). Black Shape of Nexus, Blackboned Angel, Hyatari, Asva, Hlidolf, Hjarnidaudi, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Khanate ....

I'll write something for the rest of the genres later on.
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Burp Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:19 am

Cap'n Quixote wrote:
what are the really basic elements that define specific subsects of the genre - Doom, Black, Thrash, Death, Grindcore, etc.
:inbeforelies:
Norway was NEVER the beginning, it was NEVER the middle, but it most certinly WAS the end. :down:
Burp
Burp
Menace
Menace

http://www.myspace.com/groawilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 am

Arnd pretty much hits the nail on the head when it comes to doom. Key trad. doom bands are as before mentioned: Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, and The Obsessed and some more notables are Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Black Hole and Paul Chain (masters of the Italian doom sound), Unorthodox, Iron Man, Dream Death, Spirit Caravan (in fact, any of the numerous bands Wino has been apart of), and Revelation (godly Northeastern US sound), Solitude Aeturnus and Candlemass are in the forefront of epic trad. doom.
Kyle
Kyle
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Block Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 am

WHO SHALL TEACH YOU THE WAYS OF THE DARK WINTER MOON? COME, AND I WILL SHOW YOU THAT GRIM PATH THAT LEADS ONLY NORTH THROUGH CAVERNS OF DARKNESS WHERE THE BITTER WIND BLOWS NOT, AND WE WILL SACRIFICE VIRGINS TO THE PALE GODDESS OF THE MOONLIGHT
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Burp wrote:
Cap'n Quixote wrote:
what are the really basic elements that define specific subsects of the genre - Doom, Black, Thrash, Death, Grindcore, etc.
Norway was NEVER the beginning, it was NEVER the middle, but it most certinly WAS the end. :down:
How do you mean?
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by PILEDRIVER Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm such utter shit at explaining genres it's horrible. Crying or Very sad
PILEDRIVER
PILEDRIVER
Gun Show God

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks for that really in depth explanation of Doom Metal and it's subsects, Arnd. I will have to check some of this stuff out. I've heard of a few of the bands you've mentioned, especially in the Drone and Stoner areas, but haven't really tried to hunt much of the stuff down to listen to. Sounds like an appealing area of metal, though - I can dig all of that slow sludgey stuff. The psychedelic aspect is especially interesting to me.

And.. hmmm, Burp - I had always heard that Norway WAS the epicenter of Black Metal. It makes sense that it could be considered the "end" of the genre, though.. since all those church burnings and murders and et ceteras gave the music a bad wrap. Beats me, though. I'm far from knowledgable in the subject.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

http://myspace.com/greensunn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:39 pm

I dig that Dead Meadow song, Actumen.
Whether it's relevent to my Metal learnin' or not - good stuff. I'll have to look them up.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:01 pm

Get Old Growth. I don't think I've ever been able to stop listening to that album.

Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Block Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Old Growth is not as good as Feathers, you fucking niggers are crazy and Dead Meadow ist nicht the metal, damn good though.
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 pm

WELL SORRY I SAW PSYCHEDELIC AND GOT EXCITED
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayrtin Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Burp wrote:
Cap'n Quixote wrote:

Oh for fuck's sake.

Ayrtin
Scrub
Scrub

http://ayrtin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by El Decapo Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 am

I suggest you stop listening to every "Metal" band on that list of yours.

Check out these for thrash:
Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Sodom - Agent Orange
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Overkill - Feel the Fire
Heathen - Breaking The Silence
Artillery - By Inheritance
Watchtower - Energetic Dissassembly
Testament - The Legacy
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Possessed - Seven Churches
Destruction - Eternal Devastation
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Sabbat - History of a Time To Come
Holy Terror - Mind Wars
Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Pestilence - Malleus Malificarum
Sadus - Swallowed In Black
D.R.I. - Dealing With It
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Annihilator - Alice In Hell
Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination
El Decapo
El Decapo
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Block Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:31 am

Only give up bands you listen to now if you can honestly say you don't like them anymore after trying new things.

As much as some of us, myself included, dont like a lot of those bands, thats no reason to give up your individual taste, as flawed as some of us might think it may be.
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 am

El Decapo wrote:I suggest you stop listening to every "Metal" band on that list of yours.

I thought Pestilence were Death Metal? confused

But huzzah for Exumer. FALLEN SAINT
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by El Decapo Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:58 am

Arnd wrote:
El Decapo wrote:I suggest you stop listening to every "Metal" band on that list of yours.

That album is pretty Thrash.

El Decapo
El Decapo
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Harpyie Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:16 am

Last edited by Harpyie on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Harpyie
Harpyie
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 am

El Decapo wrote:
Arnd wrote:

That album is pretty Thrash.

I see. I was 'lolwut' because the only songs I heard from them at my friend's place were pretty broo)))tal. :)
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:23 am

Harpyie's list is pretty good so I'll add a good one with some pretty accessible releases for...

DOOM: lol surprise

Traditional
Candlemass - Nightfall, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Cathedral - The Carnival Bizarre, The Ethereal Mirror
Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers (Is more accessible), In The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend (Is faptastic)
Pentagram - Ask someone else what album, I have trouble with em for some reason :(
Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
Solitude Aeturnus - Adagio (I really like it, anyone else would probably rec another album)
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
Warning - Watching From a Distance
Minotauri - S/T
Witchcraft - S/T, Firewood
The Lamp of Thoth - I Love the Lamp

^ Hardly a complete or comprehensive list that reflects the proper basics of trad doom. I left a looot of shit out I know, but who cares. It's all great stuff.

Stoner (This list will jump back and forth over the lines of rock, but suck my dick)
Sleep - Holy Mountain, Dopesmoker
Kyuss - Sky Valley, Blues for the Red Sun
High on Fire - Death is This Communion
Church of Misery - Everything... Anything! It's all amazing!
Om - Conference of the Birds, Varation on a Theme
Witch - S/T (FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP)
The Atomic Bitchwax - S/T (FAP)
Acid King - III
Boris - Heavy Rocks
Colour Haze - All (That's an album title, though it may as well be interpreted as a command), Tempel
Earthless - Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky
Snail - Blood
Graveyard - S/T (Like a better Witchcraft with better riffs, and who know how to write good music but SOMEHOW manage to be a bit more boring after the first few songs... Those first few songs hook you like a motherfucker though.)
Radio Moscow - Brain Cycles
Solace

Other types of doom (Drone, sludge, experimental, whogivesafuk)
Earth - HEX: Or Printing in the Infernal Method (OH GOD I JUST CAME ALL OVER MYSELF HOLY SHIT) (This is in my top 3 albums of all time, no doubt. It's so god damn good, and so god damn smart, and it's BASED ON MY FAVORITE BOOK TOO AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW FOR YEARS HOW ABOUT THAT?!)
Boris - Flood (om nom nom)
Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain
Weedeater - And Justice for Y'All
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty (Prolly could put this under trad. doom but it's really NWOBHM so it's going here)
Morkobot - Mostro (This album is so fucking wtf. It's like sludge on slap bass with really weird rhythms and you kinda wanna dance to it except all the sudden there's a weird atmospheric interlude. Think Torche on lots of crack and then fucking the shit out of Primus: http://www.myspace.com/morkobot Listen to Zargongollac and Tobokrom)
FUCK ALL Y'ALL, HAWKWIND GOES HERE
Corrupted - Mundo Frio
Dead Meadow - Old Growth
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Khanate - S/T
Kylesa - Time Will Fuse Its Worth
Melvins - Houdini (And then as much of their discography as you can, bitch D: <)
Saturnus - Paradise Belongs to You
Torche - Meanderthal

And for good measure even though it's not doom or metal
Steel Pole Bathtub - Miracle of Sound in Motion (If you like Melvubs)

Okay I prolly left a looot of shit out but here's an essay for you to read.
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 pm

I'd go for Melvins' Lysol album as well. It's like sludgy drone rock doom the fuck out with Joe Preston on drums or bass.
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 pm

I already have Lysol and have heard most of Houdini - good stuff. I didn't know it was considered Doom Metal, but I really like the Melvins.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Actumen wrote:Get Old Growth. I don't think I've ever been able to stop listening to that album.

This is good stuff.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:32 am

^ I has thats on vinyl afro
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Block Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 am

you monster, having Witch and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 am

Arnd wrote:^ I has thats on vinyl afro
YEAH WELL I COULD HAVE IT ON VINYL BUT I GOT CORRUPTED INSTEAD.

I think I made a good choice... I can order that from All That's heavy any time I want have the money.
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 am

I've been looking for El Mundo Frio for HOURS and all I came up with was this:

http://diskunion.net/clubh/ct/detail/PNK0501-797
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:29 am

I'd like to add that 70S JUDAS PRIEST IS ESSENTIAL AND IS MOST BADASS.
Kyle
Kyle
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Arnd wrote:^ I has thats on vinyl afro

Shit, man. That's insanely cool.

I've been listening to/researching these guys - very cool stuff. Did you know that J Mascis was their drummer? Crazy.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 pm

y yes i did they're the reason I listen to Dinosaur Jr. loolololool. Annnd I hope you got the S/T instead of Paralyze...
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:24 am

I KNEW THAT GUY LOOKED FAMILIAR WHEN I SAW PIX OF DINOSAUR JR

Awesome drumming he does. *swooooooooon*
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Actumen wrote:y yes i did they're the reason I listen to Dinosaur Jr. loolololool. Annnd I hope you got the S/T instead of Paralyze...

yessir.. i grabbed the self titled album.
why? is their other stuff utter shit? that's kind of disappointing..
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Actumen Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:48 pm

I haven't personally heard the new album but I've heard it's not as good.
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down