Black Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo

+6
PILEDRIVER
Arnd
Burp
Känge
Antonius Block
Actumen
10 posters

Go down

Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo Empty Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local people

Post by Actumen Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:03 pm

So let's talk music. What's the music like where you're at? You know, the local SCENE! Tell us how you get around your town, babycakes. And don't say OMG LAMESVILLE IS DEAD THERE'S NOTHING HERE EXCEPT ME, because that's not true... You're just not trying hard enough. Wink

Coming from Chicago I was pretty used to a diverse musical experience and immediately was desperate for what Albany had to offer, which is admittedly not a whole lot. When I first moved here I was on a huge noise kick so the first thing I did was seek out Albany's experimental community... And I got fucklucky because that's the best thing Albany has!

http://albanysonicarts.blogspot.com/
The Albany Sonic Arts Collective is a group that gets local and nonlocal musicians together (More than most Albany venues can say) to celebrate music on the fringe; from free jazz to noise to ambient and all sorts of things in between. The best part is that 99% of their shows happen at the gallery only a few minutes from my apartment. ASAC has brought artists as well known as Thurston Moore and Sunburned Hand of the Man, as well as frequently featuring local and up-and-coming artists such as Grab Ass Cowboys, Bone Parade, and Boar. Really an awesome community, IMO.

Some of the local ASAC and experimental bands:
http://www.myspace.com/centuryplants
Century Plants are cool as shit. Eric Hardiman and Ray Hare both help run the ASAC and appear at a lot of the shows... I first saw them open for Sunburned Hand of the Man, and have seen them twice since then - every time a completely unique set. The first time was a drone masterpiece that was so serene and chaotic I couldn't really grasp it at the time. The second time I saw them they played a more traditional guitar noise set. The third time was an awesome Boris-esque ambient noise sonata. Their albums are just as diverse. I really can't recommend checking them out enough if you get the chance.

http://www.myspace.com/badcostume
Bad Costume rank somewhere above, or closely tied with Century Plants as my favorite Albany group. It's made up of Bitchtits McGee on drums and Nerdy Whogivesashit on keyboards/electronics. Their appearances (A total douchebag looking guy with legit titties, and a kind of reserved nerd dude) are a bit decieving at first, but they unleash a 100% onslaught of fully improvised mayhem. Titty Guy, who I had always thought of as just Titty Guy before seeing him play, lays down beats that would put Aaron Funk to shame, and Nerdy Dude gets really awesome spacey and samplefilled melodies going. They don't have any recordings but you should totally come to Albany just to see them live, it's an awesome experience.

http://www.myspace.com/boneparade
Bone Parade are pretty sweet. They play, like, bass heavy ritualisticesque dark ambient with chanted female vocals. When I saw them they had really poor sound so I'd like to see them again. They have a really cool feel going for them, they just need to break away from some of the sameyness in the songwriting. :) Still gots me a shirt and their demo.

http://www.myspace.com/grabasscowboys
Decent noise/noise rock outfit. Nothin' too special, nothin too bad neither.

http://www.myspace.com/ghoulpoon
Omagawwd Ghoul Poon are pretty awful. They played like an hour and a half long set one time and yeah it sucked dicks. Their music is interesting I guess but it's just like PLEASE NO MORE. Not excited to see them tonight...

And finally, a non ASAC band:
http://www.myspace.com/ironweedny
Ironweed, Albany's resident Stoner Metal band. They started as Greatdayforup who are actually pretty well spoken of in TEH CIRCULS OF DEWM, and then the vocalist left and they became Ironweed. I never thought they were particularly spectacular, but I never gave them a huge shot either. They are on Small Stone and played at their SXSW showcase alongside Solace and Roadsaw. Opened for Year Long Disaster and the Sword in February... Yeah. Give 'em a listen. Buy a skateboard.

OH AND ALBANY HAS(had) CLITORTURE SO POO ON YOU
http://www.myspace.com/clitorture

SO NOW TELL ME ABOUT MUSIK IN UR AREA PUNKS THIS TOTLY BEATS MAKING LIKE 20 THREADS RITE?
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

http://myspace.com/greensunn

Back to top Go down

Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo Empty Re: Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo

Post by Antonius Block Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 pm

How did you find out about all these bands? Fuck man I cant find anything indicating a local scene, this is a fucking cow town man. Fuck.
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo Empty Re: Let's talk local bands, local shows, local scenes, local peo

Post by Actumen Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:35 pm

I spent a lot of time on google.
Actumen
Actumen
Automatic Fantastic

http://myspace.com/greensunn

Back to top Go down

Post by Känge Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 am

Cough (doom)
Salome (doom)
Three Faces of Eve (grindcore, "fastest doom band, ever!")
Horsefang (doom)
Heathens (hardcore)
Moutheater (sludge)
Waiting Mortuary (dm/bm influence)
Axe Bitch (thrash, soon breaking up)
Macerated (grind, more leaning to br00t4lz recently)
The Leviathan's Mandible (grind, see above)
Toxic Slime (thrash)

that's about it around here (not too familiar with many Richmond acts), I might have more to share when I get settled into Harrisonburg.

Last edited by Känge on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Känge
Känge
Freelance Fiend

http://reverbnation.com/muckmaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Burp Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:41 am

Känge wrote:Cough (doom)
Damn fucking straight! :drunk:
This is pretty much the only local band I give a shit about around here, they're one hell of a show too. I seriously doubt the only VA gig they've got coming up is in september, they beat the hell out of Cannabis Corpse performance-wise by a longshot.
Burp
Burp
Menace
Menace

http://www.myspace.com/groawilling

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm sort of working my way into my city (not really my city, but the city next to where I live, but hey) Kortrijk, K-town's alternative/underground circuit. I've worked as backstage/crowd control/wristband security for two years on some of the local festivals and I'm beginning to get to know the people who run the scene (aka Vlas Vegas). There are a couple of very decent bands around here.

Amenra is probably one of the biggest bands to come out of K-town. Can't say I really know the guys, but two of their side-projects have gigged at a festival I worked at and I helped them load out and set up and stuff. Kingdom and Syndrome. The first being atmosphericsludgeish Hardcore and the latter a ambient/drone thingy from one of the guitarists.

Abracadavre is the band of a very good friend of mine, Rufus, who is also the vocalist. I'm getting pretty close with the rest of the band, too, I'm the unofficial roadie. They play a mix of Doom, Crust and something. Pretty awesome live. I'll upload their CD sometime, I'm sure they'll ship them if you're really interested.

As for the rest, there is Salvador, a pretty nifty Post-Rock band. Black Heart Rebellion, a couple of noise/ambient/drone projects, most notable of which is All Shadows and Deliverance, whom I've seen live twice so far.

SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND KTHX
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by PILEDRIVER Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:11 pm

PILEDRIVER
PILEDRIVER
Gun Show God

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Block Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Arnd you have some cool fucking bands near you.
Antonius Block
Antonius Block
Reverend Naysayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Känge Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:32 pm

Amenra are great, I remember fapping over them with you, Arnd. hahaha.
Känge
Känge
Freelance Fiend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 am

afro I know.

I don't know how many times I have seen Amenra live now. I think about five or six times, one of which was totally win; the release of Mass IIII, when they opened for Om. Although it wasn't their greatest show. That was at the Strip, a couple of months ago, right before they went on their US tour. It's a former strip club (who could've guessed), very damn small, and the stage is only one foot high, so you're really face into them. I was two feet away from the vocalist and the bassist. mmmmmmmmmmm
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

The best underground band I've come across from North Carolina is Viper
Kyle
Kyle
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by El Decapo Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:02 am

I got a damn cool underground Punk/Hardcore/Grind and Metal scene here in San Diego. There are plenty of places to ply, though some are a bit of a drive, we got house shows, and the infamous sewer show!

I'll post some of the kick ass bands from my area later.
El Decapo
El Decapo
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnd Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Sewer shows?
Arnd
Arnd
Leather Rebel
Leather Rebel

Back to top Go down

Post by El Decapo Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Arnd wrote:Sewer shows?
Yep.

Well its not technically a sewer but its close enough. Pretty much is 4 or 5 Punk bands, a generator, merch table, booze seller, and a bunch of drunk kids/adults. Suppose to start at like 8 or so but usually doesn't, its underneath a highway bridge, and it lasts till around 1 or 2 depending when the cops come.
El Decapo
El Decapo
Unhindered By Talent
Unhindered By Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by Känge Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:26 am

fuck, I still want to go to one of those.
Känge
Känge
Freelance Fiend

Back to top Go down

Post by myrkwood Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Kyle wrote:The best underground band I've come across from North Carolina is Viper

Hour of 13 and Weedeater, nigga.
myrkwood
myrkwood
Menace
Menace

Back to top Go down

Post by PILEDRIVER Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Just got back from a show. The lineup was pretty much all metalcore, but it was still pretty good/fun.

Seven Year Sorrow
Cult of Dionysis
Ashes of Despair
Suddenly Silence
PILEDRIVER
PILEDRIVER
Gun Show God

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:36 am

The Slender Man wrote:Just got back from a show. The lineup was pretty much all metalcore, but it was still pretty good/fun.

Seven Year Sorrow
Cult of Dionysis
Ashes of Despair
Suddenly Silence

Oh yeah -
ended up not being able to make it, man.
wanted to give it a look, but I was working and what have you.

Our local scene kind of depresses me, though. It seems like every band that plays out fits pretty easily into one of three catagories: That being, either some really typical form of, like you said, Metalcore - or straight entry level metal; Really by the book Punk music, usually horror punk/Misfitsy shit; or *facepalm* SOUTHERN HARD ROCK (Monstrok style. amirite, Slender Man?). I wish there was a little variety - someone doing something out of the box. But it can still, sometimes, be fun... none the less.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 am

Myrkwood wrote:
Kyle wrote:The best underground band I've come across from North Carolina is Viper

Hour of 13 and Weedeater, nigga.

Ahhhh -

Weedeater FTW, by the way.
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by PILEDRIVER Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Cap'n Quixote wrote:
The Slender Man wrote:Just got back from a show. The lineup was pretty much all metalcore, but it was still pretty good/fun.

Seven Year Sorrow
Cult of Dionysis
Ashes of Despair
Suddenly Silence

Oh yeah -

Our local scene kind of depresses me, though. It seems like every band that plays out fits pretty easily into one of three catagories: That being, either some really typical form of, like you said, Metalcore - or straight entry level metal; Really by the book Punk music, usually horror punk/Misfitsy shit; or *facepalm* SOUTHERN HARD ROCK (Monstrok style. amirite, Slender Man?). I wish there was a little variety - someone doing something out of the box. But it can still, sometimes, be fun... none the less.

It's fun if you haven't been to a little concert in a few months, but when they were tossing them out once a month, shit was borin'. It would be nice to see a little variety up in this bitch. By the way, are you guys (Abra Cadaver) still rocking?

And the show was okay, but pretty much none of the regular people that go to the shows showed up, so it was basically me and an assload of people I didn't know.
PILEDRIVER
PILEDRIVER
Gun Show God

Back to top Go down

Post by Cap'n Quixote Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:53 pm

The Slender Man wrote:
Cap'n Quixote wrote:

Seven Year Sorrow
Cult of Dionysis
Ashes of Despair
Suddenly Silence

Oh yeah -

It's fun if you haven't been to a little concert in a few months, but when they were tossing them out once a month, shit was borin'. It would be nice to see a little variety up in this bitch. By the way, are you guys (Abra Cadaver) still rocking?

And the show was okay, but pretty much none of the regular people that go to the shows showed up, so it was basically me and an assload of people I didn't know.

Yeah - that's pretty much the long and the short of it. Almost any music can be entertaining in a live setting, save for some obvious exceptions.

Nah - we broke up, dude. Our singer moved to Florida, I went to visit Washington, and we just sort of ceased to be. I really wanted to get back together, play the same songs, and just do the singing myself, for a while. But we just sort of decided that we should let the band die and move on. Instead, I'm getting a new project together with some friends - same drummer, me on guitar (maybe singing), a friend Tyler on guitar (maybe singing), possibly a guy named Seth playing bass, and SOMEBODY playing sweet industrial sonic punch in the face keyboard percussion. We rigged this sweet thing up the other day where we ran this guy's keyboard through a thick distortion pedal and into an amp, put it on the "drum kit" setting, and cranked it really loud - sounds really cool, and it's totally easy to play. We're doing less of a punk thing, I think and more of a heavy space rock deal, with some elements of noise rock and shit. It's still in the embriotic stage, so I dunno what it'll actually end up sounding like, but we're starting to write some riffs and parts of songs, so it's cool. The name of the band is TWiNCEST!, or maybe MEAT LEAK, depending. In any case, it's certainly going to be really different, which I'm way excited about. It's pretty much an open project to anyone who wants to jam and hang out - maybe you could help in some way? Anything to make it more awesome?

We made a myspace, but we don't have any music on it. It's pretty funny if you want to check it out -
www.myspace.com/twincest4eva

:penis:
Cap'n Quixote
Cap'n Quixote
Scrub
Scrub

Back to top Go down

Post by PILEDRIVER Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Cap'n Quixote wrote:
The Slender Man wrote:
Cap'n Quixote wrote:

Seven Year Sorrow
Cult of Dionysis
Ashes of Despair
Suddenly Silence

Oh yeah -

Yeah - that's pretty much the long and the short of it. Almost any music can be entertaining in a live setting, save for some obvious exceptions.

Nah - we broke up, dude. Our singer moved to Florida, I went to visit Washington, and we just sort of ceased to be. I really wanted to get back together, play the same songs, and just do the singing myself, for a while. But we just sort of decided that we should let the band die and move on. Instead, I'm getting a new project together with some friends - same drummer, me on guitar (maybe singing), a friend Tyler on guitar (maybe singing), possibly a guy named Seth playing bass, and SOMEBODY playing sweet industrial sonic punch in the face keyboard percussion. We rigged this sweet thing up the other day where we ran this guy's keyboard through a thick distortion pedal and into an amp, put it on the "drum kit" setting, and cranked it really loud - sounds really cool, and it's totally easy to play. We're doing less of a punk thing, I think and more of a heavy space rock deal, with some elements of noise rock and shit. It's still in the embriotic stage, so I dunno what it'll actually end up sounding like, but we're starting to write some riffs and parts of songs, so it's cool. The name of the band is TWiNCEST!, or maybe MEAT LEAK, depending. In any case, it's certainly going to be really different, which I'm way excited about. It's pretty much an open project to anyone who wants to jam and hang out - maybe you could help in some way? Anything to make it more awesome?

We made a myspace, but we don't have any music on it. It's pretty funny if you want to check it out -
www.myspace.com/twincest4eva

:penis:

I heard about him moving to Florida, shitsux, he was a real cool guy. This myspace is pretty appropriately hilarious for a name like TWiNCEST!. It sounds like a really interesting project you fellers got goin' on; it'll be wonderful to actually hear it. I could lay some samples and shit if you need them until I get an actual instrument (hopefully getting an acoustic guitar in the next couple weeks).
PILEDRIVER
PILEDRIVER
Gun Show God

Back to top Go down

Post by Känge Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Arnd wrote:Abracadavre is the band of a very good friend of mine, Rufus, who is also the vocalist. I'm getting pretty close with the rest of the band, too, I'm the unofficial roadie. They play a mix of Doom, Crust and something. Pretty awesome live. I'll upload their CD sometime, I'm sure they'll ship them if you're really interested.
someone make Arnd fulfill this plz :P
Känge
Känge
Freelance Fiend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down